Skills and research
Surrey has a proven track-record of innovation and research, supported by significant public and private sector investment in research and development, and our four universities:
University of Surrey
University of Surrey is a UK top 10 university, with centres of excellence in cyber security and space engineering. The university is renowned for its research in science and technology, with a more recent focus on business and enterprise. Students are supported to undertake placements in industry as part of their studies.
The university's Research Park is a major centre of excellence in technology, science, health and engineering, and is home to over 110 companies ranging from start-ups through to HQs of technology companies.
Royal Holloway University of London
Royal Holloway is a UK top 20 university. The World List of Universities and Other Institutions of Higher Education places Royal Holloway within the top 1 percent of all higher education institutes worldwide.
Its Information Security Group is the largest academic information security team in the world and a centre of excellence for cyber security research.
The University for Creative Arts
The University for Creative Arts specialises in art and design and is spread over five campuses in the south of England, including two in Surrey. The university has long-established relationships with business, cultural and creative industries and a wealth of experience in collaborative working.
The University of Law
The University of Law is the UK's longest-established specialist provider of legal education. It has eight centres in seven cities across the UK and specialises in providing professional law degrees for students who wish to pursue a career in the legal sector. Its Surrey centre is located in Guildford.
- The 5G Innovation Centre (5GIC) at the University of Surrey is now the largest UK academic research centre dedicated to the development of the next generation of mobile and wireless communication.
- The Pirbright Institute - world leading centre of excellence in research and surveillance of virus diseases of farm animals.
- Campden BRI - UK's largest independent membership-based organisation carrying out research and development for the food and drinks industry worldwide.
- The Lilly Research Centre - recognised as centre of excellence in neuroscience research and produces prolific work in the discovery and development of new potential medicines.
- UCL Mullard Space Science Laboratory (MSSL) - part of the Department of Space and Climate Physics of the University College London (UCL) and is the UK’s largest university space research group.
There are 1.2 million people living in Surrey, with a working age population (aged 16-64) of 0.7 million. This is projected to rise by almost 20% by 2033. Surrey has a highly skilled workforce, with almost 48% qualified to degree level or higher, compared to 38% nationally (source: ONS data).
Currently, over half of all jobs in Surrey are in the top occupational categories covering managers, senior and professional occupations. Over the next 20 years, there is forecast to be a further shift towards these higher end occupations, as knowledge based sectors drive innovation and enterprise.